March 2, 2013

Mission Masters Mountain Pursuit Batman



I'm not exactly sure where this strange, green Batman came from. He was found loose in an old tote of toys I decided to sell awhile back, but whatever disdain I had for him before was replaced with curiosity and enthusiasm, now that I'm a toy enthusiast and official staff member of Batman the Animated Toys Blog  :D   It looked familiar to me upon rediscovering it because I had just bought Kenner & Hasbro Mission Masters Glider Strike & Knight Assault Batman toys from the same New Adventures series not long before! So I did some hunting and found it was a Mission Masters 3 Mountain Pursuit Batman.  All the multicolored Batman figures from the animated TV show that used to bore me now delight me for some odd reason. I love them!



Initially appearing to be some type of scuba dive wetsuit, it soon became apparent that it was in fact rappelling gear strapped to his left shoulder and chest. Mountain Pursuit Batman is equipped with a pick-axe and grapple gun, so that makes sense. The grapple gun on mine doesn't fire, but it sounds as though a spring might be encased within the barrel. Some of the other figures in this line share the hooked left hand sculpt.













I went stark raving mad for the Batman: The Brave & The Bold toys in 2011, which share a lot of similarities with these figures: simple articulation, a cloth cape in this instance, somewhat ridiculously oversized accessories, and fun, exaggerated  characters. Like the Brave & The Bold toys, there are several outrageous incarnations of Batman throughout the Animated line, in a delightfully absurd assortment of inappropriate colors. Again, what bored me before I now love   :D


Oddly enough, I happen to have a few other Batman figures with green paint, so I guess that makes this a collection of sorts. This probably has a lot to do with my fascination/obsession with Batman as Green Lantern, and to the ever-elusive, highly valued DC Direct figure of the said character (which I finally scored last Labor Day weekend for the unheard of price of $14.99!).  For your pleasure, I present my burgeoning collection of Green Batmen:


Batman: The Brave & The Bold Deluxe Skyshot Batman, Mission Masters Mountain Pursuit Batman, EXP Camo Tech Batman, &  Justice League Unlimited Batman (Tech Suit Variant w/gas mask).


This is a great toy I'd reccomend to any Batman the Animated fan! Like I've said before though, in this age of environmentalism, green is the new black!
(originally posted at The Super-DuperToyBox, Sept. 8th, 2011)

*Visit the database of Batman: The Animated Series toys at Legions of Gotham!

More Later- Make It FUN!

5 comments:

chunky B said...

That is a cool one, what a great find in the bottom of a tote, ha ha!

I might have to look into picking this one up, I like the grapple gun.

EmperorDinobot said...

I don't have this one since it's a repaint of Claw Climber Batman from the first Mission Masters line, and that yellow suited Batman was a cool, new mold. I only go for repaints if I don't have their original molds.

Bubbashelby said...

I have this one but from one of the later four figure sets, and he's in standard Batman colors I think.

EmperorDinobot said...

I believe that figure comes in a pack called Alliance of Fear that comes with said figure, a repaint of the original BTAS Joker fig with no lipstick (are you grateful, Selina?), The Scarecrow and new mold Batgirl who can't move her legs. Hmmm...I don't have that mold, and wouldn't have any of these figures. Anybody wanna help me?

Bubbashelby said...

That's the set all right! Thanks Emperor for the reminder!